Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ladies poker events & house

Ladies £50 Freezeout Grosvenor Walsall Sat 17th June - Melanie Lofthouse


Heard on a poker forum that there was going to be a £50 Freezeout with 1 seat guaranteed to Ladies WSOP event in Las Vegas which I’m hoping to be playing anyway, and so thought if I can win a satellite I can do more tournaments whilst I’m out there in Vegas.

What I hadn’t encountered was 84 lady runners, a gorgeous buffet put on by the casino, however there was a couple of things which could have been better……

If I’m being fair, the chip allocation was terrible. 3000 chips and 30min clock which changed a fair few times because it was turning into a crap shoot. Wish I’d have been told when the blinds were being changed as for 1 hour no hand found small pocket pair and lumped all in oops. Could have been a little more patient if I’d found out sooner.

Also it went at the end to a chip count which for a seat into Vegas is bad, although the card room manager handled it very well all credit to her, she did a good job but needs better planning and better structure next time.

I drove down to Walsall with a friend who was chatting to about how I am going to play an all ladies event, and I’d said I’m going to play my normal game. How wrong was I?
There are a couple of differences I’ve found in playing mixed games and ladies only games

1 You cannot bluff in a ladies game
2 You will get called by “pretty cards” let’s hope your hand holds up!
3 To a rocky player you really only have a couple of moves, flat call, all in or fold

I just wasn’t getting any kind of playable hands and stole a few blinds here and there, got lucky once with KQ when I was down to 1800 chips then had 4 hands in a row AQ, AQ, 10s and AK and on the AK hand got called by A10 for a 10 to hit grrr

I’ve decided to play 3 more ladies events and then knock it on the head. Going to be playing a ladies TV satellite to an event going to be held in September at Star City, I’ll be playing the Ladies WSOP in Vegas (if my house is sold in time) and then playing the Star City event in September, details below

But what I don’t like is that poker is a mixed game, where 2 sexes’ combine, its not like men’s only cricket or men’s tennis etc. It’s a great game and I just feel that it should stay a mixed game and none of this segregation. I understand it’s good to get more ladies playing the events but come on…. We’re not in the ark ages now!!

What do you feel about ladies only events? Good? Bad? I think they are a great way of introducing newer players into poker gently but maybe a once/twice a year thing

Just my views anyway, Be lucky

Mel Lofthouse



Stanleys UK Ladies Open Poker Championship
Star City Casino, Birmingham on September the 2nd and 3rd 2006


www.AWorldofPoker.com are pleased to announce that Stanley Casinos will be hosting the Inaugural U.K. Ladies Open Poker Championship to be held at Star City Casino, Birmingham on September the 2nd and 3rd 2006. Played over 2 days with a good chip allocation and a soft clock the £250 + £25 No Limit Hold'em Event will be affordable to every female Poker Player and will be THE Event of the Poker Calendar.
As the Promoters of this Event, A World of Poker.com will be working with Stanley Casinos and Star City to ensure that the biggest Ladies Event outside the WSOP in Las Vegas will be a great success. Mr Malcolm "The Rock" Harwood of A World of Poker.com has been appointed Tournament Co-ordinator and will be working closely with the Team at Star City to create a great Tournament with good structure to allow all the entrants to play Poker at the highest level. Stanley Casinos will be running Live Satellites at selected Venues throughout the Country and a full list of these will be available in the near future. A World of Poker.com will be running Online qualifiers on a number of Internet Poker Sites and in addition will be running a number of Sponsored Televised Satellites over the coming months. The Main Event will be Televised by A World of Poker.TV

So thats the poker part done and will be on http://uk.pokernews.com tomorrow with pictures

House, OMG!! Their solicitor is holding up everything, I want it completed with cash on friday or we're pulling out, how difficult is that!! Need to book vegas and everything lol

Will write more tomorrow ;)
Mel xx

1 comment:

londonpokergirl said...

haha get him wearing high heels and you're sorted ;)

loads of people commented at walsall how nice the cardroom smelled with us women playing ;)